The discussion revolves around the aspect ratio for category logos in Discourse settings. dandv initiated the conversation, seeking a suggested aspect ratio for category logos in 2023 and proposing that it be specified under image placeholders.
Canapin agreed that a wide image can disrupt the category’s description and demonstrated how images with different ratios can make things uneven. dandv asked about recommended dimensions, suggesting a square 350px size.
Canapin replied that there are no recommended dimensions, but advised against using large images due to loading issues. volanar proposed adding image scaling, cropping, and positioning functionality to the roadmap, which Canapin noted was also suggested for avatars.
Drew-ART shared their experience with image sizing, stating that a 350px width is too wide for screens under 12.5 inches with box categories and now uses 300px, but desires image size guidance and auto-align/resize features.
I’ve also just run into this - what is the aspect ration suggested for category logos in 2023? Can it be specified under (one of) the image placeholders?
There are no recommended dimensions, but I believe these pictures don’t use thumbnails even if they are displayed as small, so it’s best to avoid large/heavy images in any case.
To solve the problem with the correct display of images and their optimal loading, maybe it is worth adding the functionality of scaling, cropping and positioning category images to the roadmap?
a width of 350px used to be my go to, it looks great on mobile devices. I’ve found the new sidebar makes 350px too wide on screens under 12.5 inches if you’re using box categories.
I’m now using 300px width, but its not perfect on either small screens or mobile. I’d also love if there was image size guidance and auto-align/resize.