Several users have reported the “Quote” button on hover is missing after updating to Discourse 3.2.0.beta1-dev. The issue is not limited to mobile devices, as initially thought, and affects desktop users as well.
hiddenseal first reported the issue, mentioning that the hotkey “q” still works, but the button is absent from the HTML code. inj3ct0r also experienced the issue on Firefox.
After some troubleshooting, Don discovered a repro by setting the page loading indicator to spinner. This was confirmed by inj3ct0r and hiddenseal.
The issue seems to be related to the page loading indicator site setting. Jonathan5 found that the Quote button works when the indicator is set to slider.
The team is considering dropping the page loading indicator site setting to avoid future bugs. sam and david discussed the possibility, with sam suggesting it’s the right call for the greater good.
A recent update to Discourse 3.2.0.beta2-dev (3fe5ce7ab4) seems to have fixed the issue, as reported by Jonathan5.
After update to 3.2.0.beta1-dev (0187ad0d37), I stopped seeing “Quote” button when I select text I want to quote. The hotkey “q” still works.
Occasionally I find the “Quote” button visible in some topics, but after the page refresh it disappears again. Also, it’s not that the button is made invisible by some CSS, it is absent from the HTML code altogether.
i cannot repro this on any device or browser with meta or my forum (same release version) . if you haven’t already done so, i would try safe mode and browser incognetio mode to see if a plugin or component or browser extension is causing the effect.
I’m still drawing a blank on a repro, but I was wondering if it was due to some portion of the text you’re selecting. Maybe before or after another element in the post, perhaps?
no, this issue persists regardless of which part of the post you’re trying to quote.
This issue appears when you open a given topic for the first time in the current tab. After you refresh the page or go to the home page and reenter the topic, the quote button is present. But if you open the website in a new tab and re-enter the same topic, for the first time, the “quote” is missing. Again, refreshing or home/re-entering helps.
I’d rephrase it to “seems like there’s no bug with the loading indicator set to slider”, because we’d really not want to move away from spinner, but yes, that seems to be the way to reproduce the bug