The discussion revolves around adding a %{first name} variable to the BCC plugin for more personalized messages. cogdog and jordan-violet agree that this feature would be helpful, as referencing users by their first name only makes it easier to send personalized messages en masse. However, JammyDodger notes that there are complications to consider, such as handling names across different languages and regions.
cogdog shares their experience working with international communities and suggests using “Given Name” and “Family Name” to avoid cultural assumptions. They also mention that some people have two-word first names, and propose using a convention to parse the full name by the first space to extract a greeting name.
Jagster proposes a different solution, suggesting that users should be able to choose how they want to be addressed, rather than relying on admins to decide. This approach would prioritize user preferences and allow for more personalized communication.
I am so glad I found this! It will help much for sending announcements as group messages as most people do not realize a reply goes to all.
The placeholders work although I cannot really see how I would personalize with a full name or a username. If I had my dreams, I’d like to use a first word of %{name} to address by first name (yes, some challenges there)
From working in international communities, I refrain from referencing FirstName LastName, usualy for labnels I use “Given Name” and “Family Name”. And then at least for one example, in China, most common the Family Name is listed first (a suggestion of the importance of family over the individual?, yet often you find people from the region will provide a “western-ized” name to call them by (I work with a number of Dave’s in Taiwan ;-).
And even here in North America, I know of a number of people that have a two word first name (one is a daughter).
In my own work, I do not need to necessarily have a split into first/last, but at least some way of greeting a person in communication. I can understand the limitations on changing any data structure, and am okay using a convention of parsing by the first space to extract at least a name to address someone. Perhaps the form where a full name is entered could have some kind of explanation/label indicating that the first portion is used as a greeting name?
Shuld there just be a custom one where is asked how an user wants to be called?
I don’t understand why an admin should say how users must be seen on lists. Users are using a forum and that forum is made for users, not for admins (unless… users are a product).
Sure, there can be some technically demands, but thats’s why we have devs and coders whos job is solve out such issues.
Yes, I know. Again drifting away from topic and behind my eyes are ghosting similar type other topic. But there should be some other solution that I would be called as Mr. Jakke Lehtonen.