The discussion revolves around the ability to backup a Discourse site via FTP. Master requests this feature to automate backup uploads to external servers, currently only allowing backups in AWS S3. However, supermathie corrects this, stating that backups can be saved locally and transferred via FTP. pfaffman suggests using S3 compatible services and storing backups locally, then copying them elsewhere using scp/rsync. pfaffman later reiterates this, recommending the use of rsync to push or pull backups elsewhere, ensuring a copy of the containers directory is included.
Hello, currently the system allows backup only in AWS S3, so I would like to know if it is due to an exclusivity and agreement with Amazon or if they plan to provide other services, for example via FTP so that I can automate it to any other place.
It is very cumbersome to have to download it manually and upload it to external servers (I feel like I am in prehistoric times); I would like many other services, but I’ll settle for FTP because I can synchronize this with any other external server.
I want to have backup copies of my site, in case there is a hacking problem, configuration problem or any other problem, it is better to have a backup on external servers.