Best approach for advanced user directory capabilities

AI-generated summary

TwoCat is seeking to create an advanced user directory for their Discourse site, with features like searching via specific fields and geolocation mapping. They initially planned to achieve this by setting up a WordPress site with a member directory plugin and linking it to their Discourse site via the WP Discourse plugin and SSO. However, pfaffman suggested creating a custom Discourse plugin instead, which TwoCat found appealing. The desired features include a main user directory search page with map-based geolocation, Boolean search by specific user profile fields (e.g., username, hobby, location), and the ability to filter results (e.g., users within 50 miles of Boston with a listed hobby of board games).

I’d like to create a user/member directory with some advanced functionality like searching via specific fields and finding users via world maps (google).

I’m familiar with the ability to add customer fields to the stock discourse user directory, and I know that the search function covers these fields, but I’m looking for more advanced functionality.

My plan is to setup a wordpress site with a strong member directory pluggin and link to my discourse site via the WP Discourse plugin and SSO. But before I do so, I want to double check that this is the most straightforward way. Are there better ways to accomplish this goal, or is this the approach people recommend?

3 Likes

What exactly?

To me, it would be much easier to make a plugin that did whatever you want rather than try to tie things together with wordpress, unless, perhaps, you’re already using wordpress to do those things

5 Likes

Thank you for your response. This is exactly why I asked - I didn’t realize making a pluggin was an option.

I’d like to have a main user directory search page that allows users to find other users with a map (geolocation).

I’d also like the ability to have users search by specific user profile specific fields (user name, hobby, location, etc), and to be able to do it in a Boolean way. For example, show me everyone who is within 50 miles of Boston and who has a listed hobby of boardgames in their user profile.

Would this be easier to accomplish as a pluggin vs a wp site?

2 Likes