Formatting for links to private topics

AI-generated summary

Formatting for Links to Private Topics

@bradydowling inquired about the correct formatting for links in Discourse to ensure they are styled attractively. @fefrei explained that links to private posts cannot be oneboxed to prevent content leakage. However, @bradydowling clarified that the linked post was not private, but rather in a category visible to all trust levels.

@fefrei provided evidence that the link required login credentials, which would have leaked private content if oneboxed. Ultimately, @bradydowling adjusted the category settings and thanked @fefrei for the clear explanation.

I’m not quite sure what the formatting for a link needs to be in order for Discourse to style it appropriately. I think half the time I post a link, it ends up being posted directly as a link like in this thread.

Is there a certain format I need to post links in for them to be formatted attractively?

This is a link to a private post in a public post – it cannot be oneboxed because it would leak the content of the private post.

Which post was private? The link goes to a post within a category that is visible to users of all trust levels. Only staff can create in that category but it is not private.

The link https://community.c9.io/t/what-are-active-workspaces/1334/2?u=bradydowling you posted requires me to log in:

I can read the source post (https://community.c9.io/t/sharing-premium-workspaces-with-free-users/2741/2?u=bradydowling) without logging in, so showing the preview would leak the What-are-Workspaces-topic to me.

Perfect! Needed to change the settings for that category. Thanks so much for explaining that clearly :smile: