Polls UX: Problems and solutions

Jeff, I’m a big fan of Discourse, I sincerely admire your work, and so, despite your ad hominem reasoning (*), I still have good faith that we can have civilized discussions about improving Discourse and the validity of problems (as well as, given that they are, discussing solutions that fix these).

(*) = Remember, this is not about me. And as a side note: Neither do I want to switch back to native check and radio button UI by itself nor do I propose a redesign of poll UI.

As you keep on pointing out that you haven’t heard about the problems, I feel like I should be more explicit about why I think it is not surprising, but rather inherent to issues like these that nobody usually reports them:

  • Who would publicly admit that he/she had trouble identifying a poll?
  • And, if you don’t identify a poll as such, how would you find out that you couldn’t identify the poll in the first place?
  • Who would publicly admit that he/she forgot to submit it vote to the poll?
  • And, if you think you participated in a poll, how would you find out that you forgot to vote?

To me it feels like you just don’t approve the problems, let alone the proposed solutions (which you have every right to do so), and so it seems to me you try everything to invalidate them, even by weighing in requirements that hardly anybody outside of the team could fulfill (like “[…] understanding of how we got where we are today.”)

Next time someone goes through all this struggle (of submitting a PR, having it closed due to lack of prior discussion, opening a discussion as suggested with a structured, screenshot-enhanced post), I suggest you save some of your time and nerves by answering something like this (given that you would mean it):

Thank you, X, we really appreciate your input!

I have to say it is the first time I hear of this, and you should know that we prioritize issues according to how critical they are and how many users are affected.

I’ll come back to you, once I gathered feedback from sites that use this feature.

TL;DR I have invested far too much effort in this already and therefore renounce from further contribution. I have some hope that you will realize at last that your reaction was unfavorable (to say the least) and that, in fact, you biased the discussion yourself by dispraising those who confirm the issues and/or approve of the proposed solutions.

Which brings me back to the pattern: Who would publicly give one’s opinion, if he/she has to fear being tackled?

Over and out.

「いいね!」 4