Unable to send mails using Discourse

AI-generated summary

User ceeaim is experiencing issues with sending emails using their Discourse installation, with both Zoho and Mandrillapp SMTP servers. The production logs show a “422 Unprocessable Entity” error, while the Sidekiq email error queue logs indicate a “Net::SMTPAuthenticationError” with the message “Error: authentication failed.” mpalmer and pfaffman both suggest that the issue is likely due to incorrect credentials (username and/or password).

I have docker installation of discourse from this article. Discourse is working fine but I am unable to send mails.

my settings are.

TODO: The mailserver this Discourse instance will use

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: smtp.zoho.com # (mandatory)
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 587 # (optional)
DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: xxxxx@xxxxxx.in # (optional)
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: xxxxxxxxx # (optional)

when I check production logs it shows Unprocessable entry.

Started POST “/admin/email/test” for 106.51.227.84 at 2016-10-09 10:36:28 +0000
Processing by Admin::EmailController#test as /
Parameters: {“email_address”=>“geekceeaim@gmail.com”}

Sent mail to geekceeaim@gmail.com (1430.7ms)
Completed 422 Unprocessable Entity in 1871ms (Views: 0.7ms | ActiveRecord: 1.1ms)

on sideKiq all email error queue have following logs.

Jobs::CriticalUserEmail

Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper: Wrapped Net::SMTPAuthenticationError: 435 4.7.8 Error: authentication failed:

I am using digitalocean also I tried with ZOHO/mandrillapp smtp servers.

Thanks in advance.

There you are, then. Your credentials are wrong.

That is to say, there is something wrong with the username and /or password (or, perhaps the address/host name, but that’s pretty unlikely).