The discussion revolves around installing Discourse alongside WordPress on a dedicated server. tharindu has a managed server with WordPress sites and wants to install Discourse instances. itsbhanusharma and Cameron_D confirm that it’s possible, but some additional configuration is required.
A guide is shared by Cameron_D for running Discourse with another instance of nginx on the host. tharindu plans to follow the guide and publish a step-by-step process if successful.
ariznaf has a similar setup and is looking to move their WordPress installation to the same server as Discourse. They are considering using a Docker container with WordPress and nginx, but are unsure about the best approach. They wonder if using a pipe to communicate between nginx and Discourse would slow it down, and if there’s an option to use Docker for a separate WordPress+nginx container.
I have asked a question earlier today about how to have multiple instances in a single server and what are the ideal configurations I need for the new server.
After hours of researching I have decided to use the dedicated server I already have in FastComet. The reason behind this decision is simply it has got a E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz + 16gb of ram where I have installed few WordPress sites and it’s barely breaking a sweat.
My server is managed so I can have FastComet guys install the packages I want. What are the possibility to run discourse instances in this server? Is it possible to install docker containers on a optimized server for WordPress with nginx without having issues in the future?
I have already sent this guide to FastComet team. Technical team will reach out to me and let me know if there’s any issues, otherwise I will surely breakdown the process into parts and publish a guide here so other users can save themselves from spending hours and hours figuring out what to do.
We have discourse installed on a virtual server (with docker, of course).
I have a simple worpress installation in other server (with other subdomain), but I would like to move it to the discourse server.
I would like to install a docker container with WordPress and nginx.
But I am not sure how to do it after reading al posts mentioned here.
Here you solve it installing nginx outside docker and configuring a site for WordPress and another one for discourse, and passing discourse requests uting a pipe.
If I have understood it well that is what @Cameron_D says.
wont’t it be slower to use a pipe from to communicate nginx with the discourse install?
But you have to tweak discourse config.
Is there the option of using docker to install another WordPress+nginx container, similar to the discourse installation?
I suppose that the isolation level that docker provides would be good for not having security issues.