Ability to reorder categories in the sidebar

OK, I’m warming up you suggestion @tobiaseigen:

Will see if we can get it on our list to try this out soon.

11 Likes

I second this! Would be GREAT if:

• By default new users get categories in fixed_category_positions order
  • Users interested in reordering will click the edit (:pencil2: icon) and reorder according to their needs.

Ultimately this makes it more easy to navigate for new members and just makes sense.

3 Likes

The order of categories in the sidebar now respects the fixed_category_positions site setting, per this PR by @tgxworld:

19 Likes

I think why I’m grateful for this change is that, while the sidebar I think is designed for the users to be able to customize to their liking, I imagine 1) most users may not even know that’s possible and 2) most may stick with the defaults anyway.

I, having used Discourse for years and having a coding and website background, can struggle with the UI and customizations, so I like the ability to set the default order of the sidebar categories for users assuming they may never actually change them.

7 Likes

I wish I could provide more than a single :heart: for this change. Thank you so much @tgxworld for implementing this!

The more I use the sidebar, the more I like it, and this was the one thing left making it not work well for my largest forum. This is awesome!

10 Likes