Beta testing the Android mobile app

can you confirm me those issues have been fixed please ?

1 Like

Yes, all the visual issues have been resolved. The only outstanding issue I have is the draw over other apps permissions, which it certainly appears that @sam removed it from the permissions list, but it still shows when installing the app.

If that’s the case some Android dependency they are using must be requesting the ‘draw over other apps’ permission… perhaps it is a consequence of wrapping Google Chrome?

Possible that it is a dependency, but I doubt it is Chrome. Chrome itself doesn’t request the permission - calling it shouldn’t suddenly require it out of the blue.

Most likely just a build issue, I will sort it out

2 Likes

I still would like to test this…

Android 6.0.1
Samsung GALAXY A5 (SM-A500FU)

@sam do you have any data from early testers about how many sites they have configured?

For context on my feedback, I’ve only got two set up, and I do not get a ton of notifications.

Here are things on my wish list for this app:

1. I would like to be taken directly to the relevant post with I click on a notification, rather than going to the app’s site list and then navigating to the site.
  2. I would like the site to load faster. As it stands, it’s more efficient for me to just keep a chrome tab loaded with the site than to open it from within the app.
1 Like

We could also preload the first site, but that would be cheating :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s try latest, I just tested and it says “it requires no special permissions” so yay :confetti_ball:

Turns out dependencies were making us ask for permissions we do not need, so our manifest now evicts that bad permissions.

see also:

https://github.com/facebook/react-native/issues/5886

Additionally:

• I made it so chrome tab is a tiny bit faster by keeping a session around
  • app does not quit so often (at least in dev)

There are some glitches I know about that we will sort out next week.

Regarding @mcwumbly “I want it to load faster”, I hear you loud and clear. I saw this in action when @tgxworld was demoing the issue to me. I am unsure if chrome tabs will ever be able to cache to the degree a leaving a tab open in chrome does.

I will look at splitting up the notifications and grouping next week.

6 Likes

I just did a new release today:

• Fixes occasional blank screen on launch
  • Introduces new user api, this API defines the concept of scopes, you no longer have to grant full write access to the app.
  • Upgrades internal components
  • Fixes a case where the search field would clear after submit

note the change to the app is breaking, it will only work on the absolute latest releases of Discourse. I am deploying stuff internally now.

Overall, I feel the app is in a good enough shape to go in the app store now, our internal APIs are all good and the app is feature complete enough for a v1.

On the android front I would like to get around to notification grouping, so you can expand the group of notifications and click on each, however I don’t feel this feature is blocking.

7 Likes

@sam can you confirm if this is safe to update for Stonehearth?

Yeah, I just deployed Stonehearth and the business tier.

4 Likes

If the target forum contains ads, does the app render them too? If not and this app is released for the general public, that is a potential monetization leak.

1 Like

The app doesn’t render the site, Chrome does. So if you ads appear in Chrome on Android, the app doesn’t change that. The app simply provides a clean notification system for mobile, with easy direct access to the mobile version of your Discourse instance.

9 Likes

@sam, I would love to test this app. Is it possible?

I’d love to have one on my android. I though to create one :slight_smile: .
Happy to found one.

I would like to sign up for beta testing the android up.

Looks awesome :thumbsup:. Any more beta invites going spare? :wink:

Hello @sam,

i want to test app, please send me invites.

Regards,
Junaid