Creating a whisper post

:bookmark: This guide explains how to create a whisper post in Discourse, including how to enable the feature and use it effectively.

:person_raising_hand: Required user level: Users in whisper-allowed groups

Whispers are a feature in Discourse that allow for private discussion within a topic or personal message. This is useful when internal teams want to collaborate privately within a topic, such as when discussing how to best address a member’s question in a support topic.

Enabling whispers

To enable whispers in your community, go to Admin > Group permissions or All site settings and search for whisper allowed groups. Update this setting with the groups that should be able to read and write whispers.

Creating a whisper

If you belong to a group in the whispers allowed groups setting, you can create a whisper post by clicking the composer action menu in the top left corner and selecting Toggle whisper or by clicking Visible in the top right corner to toggle to whisper mode.

You will notice that the text will be italicized and the composer action button will change from Reply to Whisper to reinforce that you’re now whispering.

Additional information

  • Replying to a whisper will automatically bring up the composer with the whisper option toggled on.
  • There is no built-in UI to convert a whisper to a normal post or vice versa after it has been posted. However, staff members can change the post type via the API (PUT /posts/:id/post_type).
  • The Toggle Whisper theme component can be installed to add another UI button for converting between whispers and normal posts.

Last edited by @lindsey 2026-10-09T17:23:49Z

Last checked by @hugh 2024-07-08T10:47:00Z

Check documentPerform check on document:
35 Likes

Thank you SO much for this feature! It’s really helpful :slight_smile:

May I suggest, please, that this could also be described as “staff notes” or “topic notes” or similar? I spent forever trying to find this functionality both in Google and in Discourse’s own search, but kept getting mislead to the User Notes plugin or similar things.

I just never though to search for something like this under the keyword “Whisper”, which makes it sound more like a 1-on-1 direct message.

Regardless, I’m so glad to have found it. Thank you!

1 Like

Staff notes are actually something completely different, but I can understand why you were confused.

Whisper posts are named as such because they allow staff to “whisper” in a topic (or PM) without regular users being aware.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. (The one where a staff user can post a highlighted message for all users, right?).

Apparently “whispers” is just what it’s called on other forums too, which I never knew. I kept trying to find a “staff note” or “private note” or “secret note” or “note to other moderators” etc., and never thought to look for a “whisper” (which in non-mod land sounds like a DM). I don’t think I’m the only one confused by this terminology, e.g. Whispers vs Staff Notes, "Staff Notice" ➜ "Notice from Staff"?, Everybody can see "note to staff"!, or the similar personal notes request: Add support for 'personal notes' on posts

Regardless, I’m really glad the functionality is here. I mostly just wanted to add this comment in case anyone else was searching for the same thing, and maybe this will help Google find it.

5 Likes

Just an update to folks here as we’ve had a few queries:

As our composer is undergoing some simplifications, the original method 1 is now not available.

You may toggle whispers using the top left toggle menu :backhand_index_pointing_down:t2:

OP has been updated.

7 Likes