Default email settings for a new user

Whew! Thanks, I thought you were talking about more than new user defaults and gining site Admins the ability to over-ride existing member preferences.

3 Likes

I was also confused by that statement. @milen - this topic was opened to discuss Defaults for email settings. I recommend you open a new topic to outline your use case for ā€˜overridesā€™ so it can be discussed / debated independently.

There are lots of different laws out there. In the US, the CAN-SPAM act only requires opt-out information for commercial, non-transactional (unsolicited) email. Transactional messages, whose primary purpose is to communicate transactional content (like a reply to a post or new posts when requested), are mostly exempt from all of the requirements except accurately identifying the sender in the header information.

3 Likes

We would also benefit from the ability to automatically assign notification status for new users. Same use case-- coming over from mailing lists.

2 Likes

Any word on whether thisā€™ll make it into version 1.2? Iā€™m hoping to move taskforce.is over to discourse (replacing Google Groups), and I think this is the main feature weā€™d need to make that happen.

3 Likes

Are there any files that I can adjust myself in order to make this a reality. I want new users to be watching certain categories by default. If new user defaults are already in one of the configuration or as variables or arrays in the production files, then I can change it myself with nano.

I see here

You can change default settings by just editing this fileā€¦is there something like a profile_settings.yml file that allows one to edit default profile settings?

1 Like

Not at the moment, no. Setting default user preferences for all users in Admin, Site Settings has been requested many times and it is on our list.

4 Likes

When a new user is created and option variables and arrays are stored to
the data base, is this a file that I can edit and rebuild? is mailing list
mode an option that can be set to 0 or 1 or true or false in one of the
development files?

Even if a configuration file isnā€™t available or doesnā€™t exist, there has to
be a function somewhere that sets those variables?

No, there isnā€™t a function that does that, thatā€™s the problem.

Currently the database column defaults are used. I suppose you could change that, butā€¦

If you could point me in the direction of doing this (which files to edit and such)ā€¦That would help me tremendously. Right now Iā€™m having to set the preferences of like 60 users individually, and again for every new user that signs up. Whatever I gotta edit, do or learnā€¦please tell me.

3 Likes

At the very least you could do it at the Ruby command line by looping through the users! @riking can you assist with an example?

1 Like

It wonā€™t help very much because Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a good way to remember who the new users are after the last run. Fixing them all is more suited to import situations, not having new users keep signing up.

I think in this case we want to loop through and set it for all users regardless (perhaps skipping those where it is already set) but @mochabcha can confirm.

1 Like

It looks like Iā€™m gonna have to learn some ruby coding. I also have the
issue of figuring out how Iā€™m gonna get the old Google group imported into
discourse. What it looks like Iā€™m going to have to do is use Portia to
screen scrape the pages into a format that bbPress can ingest and let the
bbPress to Discourse script do the rest. So i might have to learn python
also.

That example would definitely help me though @riking. And huge thanks to
you @codinghorror.

1 Like

Yes we do need to set the settings for all the users, regardless of whether or not they are new users or not. All users should be set to mailing list mode. new users signing up wonā€™t be that often so I can do that manually. Iā€™ll also be importing all previous users from the old Google Groups so all users will be in the data base to where I can set the looper to adjust the settings.

my apologies, this message was a bit late now that Iā€™m looking at the site.

@codinghorror Is it possible now? Or is still on your list? I need to setup email preferences for new users

1 Like

@mochabcha @alefattorini

These two posts are of interest to you:

Set the defaults for new users:

Setting defaults to enable mailing list mode-Temporary Solution

Fix (clobber) all settings for all users (regardless of age, or if theyā€™d already opted out, so I suggest this as a one-time only charge.

Edit a user setting for all Discourse users

My Discourse is hosted :-\ so I canā€™t try your tips. Thank you anyway

1 Like

So, two customers, me and @alefattorini are hoping to get confirmation that this is underway.

I was talking to another potential hosting customer today, but they too need to set the default for end users, cannot consider buying without this feature being built in.

4 Likes