Embed discourse topic but do not automatically create

Hey, good question and something I’ve looked into a bit as well! Not totally following re: the RSS thing but it sounds like you may be looking for something along the line of what’s been discussed here? —

The short answer seems to be: not yet possible out of the box, and kind of tricky, but would be feasible to build as custom functionality.

Currently there is a way to create topics via the WP Discourse plugin where the topic is created and linked to the WordPress post, but unlisted on Discourse until it gets at least one reply. (Not sure if that may be relevant for you, but a cool partial solution for this kind of thing!)

I see there’s also some discussion here w/ about possibly implementing either as PR or plugin but not clear if it went anywhere:

Maybe @joebuhlig can chime in! Personally I would be interested in this sort of thing for the use case of enabling Discourse commenting for thousands of WP posts without first having to have all the topics created in Discourse. I’m sure a more general solution for embeds could be useful for lots of scenarios.

4 Likes