Events Plugin 📆

Thanks for all the feedback.

I’ve made two small changes:

1. There’s now site-wide and category-specific settings to remove the label from the add event button: events_event_label_no_text. I added the category specific settings as its conceivable you’ll want a label in a dedicated events category and no label in other categories.

2. I’ve taken advantage of the flexboxisation of the composer by @awesomerobot to allow the event button to sit inline with the title and category controls when events_event_label_no_text is on.

Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2013%2010-35-20

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/c6897da24ec5caaa2207e447ac9b637ae5e3cfcf

These changes can be used in conjunction with:

1. The existing plugin settings to format the event label when a user has added an event (using moment.js formatting)

2. The existing plugin setting to change the event label icon.

3. Admin > Customise > Text Content. This can be used to change the text on the label itself (as per @Tom_Newsom’s suggestion). The key you want is: add_event.btn_label.

4. The Min trust to create event in this category setting, which allows you to restrict (and hide the controls for) event creation according to trust level on a per-category basis.

I think there is no right answer here. My goal with this plugin is to allow it to accomodate as many (proven) use cases as possible.

I originally imagined that it would be used in a dedicated events category, but I think it’s pretty clear now that there’s also a mixed category use case.

Likewise with the trust level permissions. I didn’t originally think about that when building this, but since you’ve raised it and the more I’ve thought about it, the more obvious it seems. The ability to create events can be a powerful one.

Yes, this is the idea behind the site-level calendar vs the category-level calendars. You can’t currently ‘filter’ the site level calendar itself. I’m just wondering about the marginal utility of having a category-filter on the site-level calendar, given there are already category-level calendars. Perhaps there is a case for it. Not sure.

There are two things holding me back on this:

1. There’s an unreleased plugin which seems to do something very similar: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-chronos-globe-with-meridians-timer-clock/69281

2. This would be an entirely new feature ‘vector’. Even if I were to add it here, I would prefer to make sure the topic <> event vector is substantially finished first.

8 Likes