Exploring ServiceWorkers for Discourse

EDIT: Added another relevent video.

Recent talks from Google I/O 2016:

Service Workers - Instant Loading: Building offline-first Progressive Web Apps

A good potion of this walks through the “offline” capability.

Web Push Notifications

A walk though what push notifications should be used for, overview of systems involved and basic code patterns.
Note the recent name change from “Google Cloud Messaging” (GCM) to “Firebase Cloud Messaging” (FCM).

These videos are long, the first is 45 minutes long so - do yourself a favour and use the Video Speed Controller extension in Chrome.

7 Likes

Good news for Service Worker…

The Fetch API MS Blog post link: Fetch (or the undeniable limitations of XHR) - Microsoft Edge Blog

6 Likes

Now everyone stare at Apple until they feel uncomfortable.

9 Likes

Apple has been keeping an eye on PWAs, agrees with PWA principles and Safari is has Service Worker and manifests under consideration.

4 Likes

Sorry, argument has probably since been won, but have to say:

• I :heart_eyes: the mobile friendliness of Discourse, it’s one of the reasons I became addicted to it … its like having a mini community in your pocket! My users love that!
  • I :heart_eyes: the fact that it’s a web app and not an ‘app’. Web apps are so much more immediate, there’s nothing to install and it’s instantly cross platform - what’s not to like about web apps, especially considering the huge sophistication of browsers nowadays? Web apps are far more ‘progressive’. I just wish Safari had browser notifications on mobile like they do on desktop (so we wouldn’t need the ‘app’) … but I understand this depends on Service Worker implementation … and that’s coming? … well they are in the latest Beta on mobile!
7 Likes