The mail goal of this feature is to connect all the Discourse communities like how Mastodon makes use of global and local feeds to maintain a healthy and decentralized network of Mastodon instances which allows a user from one instance to connect, follow, and discuss on topics of another instance. I think this will open up a lot of new features for Discourse.
- Imagine being able to just connect to your own local community and then be able to get news about other topics from other Discourse communities you followed elsewhere!
- You no longer have to create an account in every Discourse community because you can always subscribe and comment on topics in those communities!
- It structurally decentralizes all the communities while at the same time connecting everyone!
Things to note?
- An instance owner has the ability to block certain people from other communities from interacting with their community.
- They also have the right to choose the community to be private or that the content of the community can only be shared to a particular group of communities.
I have not really thought about the cons of this feature but do let me know what you think about this feature!