Feedback on the new Review Queue

It seems public topics and private messages are no longer distinguished in the review queue. I believe this used to be the case: didn’t PM’s have a little ‘envelope’ logo before?

We got into some debate as a moderator unknowingly got involved in a PM conversation that was flagged. From a privacy perspective, it would be great if:

1. PM’s are clearly marked as such.
  2. We could limit moderation of PM’s to admins or specific groups of users/moderators. It is understood that admins can access PM’s, but we feel it would be better if not all moderators have access to them through the review queue.
12 Likes

Oh that’s definitely bad, let’s take a look at that @Roman_Rizzi

8 Likes

Flagged PMs are now distinguished using the envelope icon, and only admins can review them. The latter it’s not retroactive and will only affect new reviewables.

7 Likes

I reverted this change. Letting moderators review flagged PMs has always been a Discourse feature.

9 Likes

Sorry for the confusion; this was the only required change.

8 Likes

I know we’ve gone back and forth on this, but I am still of the opinion that it would be very nice to be able to pin the reviewable filters to a certain custom score, in addition to the low/medium/high. On large forums with a lot of single-flag posts, I’m seeing cases where the “medium” score (50th percentile) is the same as the lowest score, giving rise to situations where the “medium” filter isn’t filtering anything at all.

4 Likes

Is this the solution, or is it to auto-ignore unhandled flags a bit faster than normal?

We can try it first. My concern is that even with a shortened auto handle age, the 50th percentile for medium will still potentially match the lowest scores, if there are enough single-post flags spread out daily to skew calculations.

2 Likes

Our moderators find that the labels on the actions in the review queue are confusing at times. For example, on messages marked as spam, the :-1: (a ‘negative’ action in my mind) button will keep a message, while on messages that need approval, the X (also a ‘negative’ action) will destroy the message. We end up with the occasional incorrect action now and then, and sometimes we can’t undo them.

To help ourselves a little we highlighted the ‘dangerous’ actions with a signal color using some CSS. I’ll share our CSS in case other people find it helpful (it’s not rocket science, but :man_shrugging:). Enjoy!

button.reject-post,
button.confirm-spam,
button[data-name="Delete..."],
button[data-name="Delete User..."],
button[data-name="Agree..."], {
	color: #fff;
	background: $danger;

.d-icon {
		color: #ffe8d5;
	}
}
7 Likes

That’s a … weird… perspective. The thumbs up is about the flag, not the post. Either you agree with the flag :+1: or you disagree with the flag :-1:

1 Like

I had the same confusion the first time I saw it too, because suspected spam has “approve” mean “reject the automatic flag” — the “:-1:” in this case is a :white_check_mark: it is a little weird, but it might just be something to learn, I can’t think of a better iconography for that case.

4 Likes

I fully agree from a developers perspective. As a moderator though, you sometimes have to work through a LONG list of items and you want to make quick decisions. While the flag-type information is there, they all look really similar and you’re forced to read really well—making it easy to slip up. Adding the color coding was a big help for us.

I agree, I don’t think the issue is the iconography.

4 Likes

The last time this was brought up the buttons were less descriptive and we changed the text.

The thumbs down button on a spam post currently says Disagree - it’s super weird for me to read that text and think it would delete the post.

Conversely, I’m not sure how I could read Reject Post and assume the post would stay around?

I can understand the suggestion from an icon only point of view, but are your moderators just ignoring the labels?

2 Likes

Perhaps one small thing we can do is extend it (either on the button labels, or on the label titles) to state more explicitly “disagree with flag/agree with flag/ignore flag” - It might help to dispel any remaining ambiguity.

3 Likes

I’d be open to that but I suspect those buttons are going to be mighty large!

2 Likes

I was thinking just the tooltips not the actual button… of course good luck getting anyone to read those, but we can say we did something.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was my thought as well! I say this as someone who tried to inform themselves on what the buttons were going to do by tooltips/titles (and learn what I was agreeing/disagreeing on), and maybe I’m not alone. There must be dozens of us, DOZENS!

7 Likes

I had a score filter in there before but @codinghorror found it confusing. I think for power users like big game companies with many forums it can be useful and we should consider putting it back in somehow. Maybe behind a site setting so it doesn’t confuse other users?

1 Like

That doesn’t seem germane to the tooltips request? :thinking:

Oh weird the post I replied to was deleted.

1 Like