GDPR troll defense?

I think the gist of this is that it’s 2018 and anyone who thinks they’re up to running a forum should also be up to taking responsibility and protecting the data they are collecting. If that results in people acting like a victim and shutting down their forum because they don’t want to invest time and energy in learning what is expected of them with respect to protecting the personal data of their users, then I really don’t feel sorry for that.

No one needs a lawyer to be able to comply with GDPR. Someone pointed this guy to our (long, but not very hard to understand) GDPR walkthrough and this guy says ‘The gdpr documentation is quite long and I lack the domain expertise to read and comprehend the document in full’. Well, that sounds like he just didn’t want to spend that hour reading the document but spend that hour writing a complaint about how hard everything is.

It’s like when I would open a restaurant and then shut it down because I have to deal with food regulations and taxes, and complain about how unfair all those laws and regulations are. No, those are the rules you have to play by, and if you’re not up to that then you should either invest the time and energy in that, or accept the fact that you don’t want to take it all seriously.

No forum owner should have to spend more than two hours on preparing for GDPR. Just read our documentation and do what it says :slight_smile: If you’d rather complain, then go for that, but don’t expect my sympathy.

15 Likes