How can someone who wants to primarily interact via email join a topic in progress?

If someone has an email notification for a thread, they can easily reply and join the conversation without switching to a web browser. But what if they didn’t get the notification for whatever configured reason? Is there a way to jump into a thread via email alone?

1 Like

Try setting the Category notification level to Watching First Post on the desired Category to receive the emails. Then reply to those emails.

1 Like

But what if you don’t have the email already?

1 Like

Not convinced you read my suggestion carefully enough.

If you set that notification level you will receive emails for every new Topic in that Category regardless of your involvement.

Well, I read it again and I’m still not getting it. How does that help with a thread that was started when the user had that option turned off? I mean, short of having a time machine.

2 Likes

Oh sure you can’t go back in time. This will only work for Topics created after you set that and after 10 minutes of closing the browser window.

I don’t think you’ll find any way of doing this without having received a notification you can reply to.

1 Like

With a mailing list, you can join a thread by looking up the Message-Id in an archive somewhere and manually editing that in. But that’s pretty advanced and not accessible to typical users anyway. I guess with DIscourse at least they can start a new topic and the mods can move it to the thread if appropriate.

1 Like

By the time you’ve found the message ID on the internet you might as well reply on the internet too if the archive has that facility (which Discourse does).

Though I wonder - I think email replies to topics include a topic/message ID in the To: field. It would be possible manually to create that email address. And Discourse might accept it from the email address of a registered user. Maybe you could display the relevant ID to your forum to allow people to do this. Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

The system uses reply keys. I don’t think you can spoof them and they are user specific:

1 Like

Would it be possible for a plugin to generate and display the relevant reply key - perhaps incorporated into a mailto: link - beside each post? There could be separate “reply” and “quote” links.

I’m not saying any of this is a good idea, but it would replicate some mailing list archive behaviour.

2 Likes