How to add header menu links

rewrite-pending

(App) #41

@Mittineague Good point. So far we didn’t have any issue on performance. I just checked your link and see if we could add delayed check like 50 ms or so that may help.

Will keep you updated.

(App) #42

Hi @Mittineague - I can confirm that there isn’t any issue reported so far at client side because of this solution.

Folks should use it without any issue.

(Dmitry Demenchuk) #43

In following example I’m reusing discourse’s style.

<ul class="nav nav-pills">
  <li><a href="/c/festivals">FESTIVALS</a></li>
  <li><a href="/c/jobs">JOBS</a></li>
  <li><a href="/categories">FORUM</a></li>
  <li><a href="/c/blog">BLOG</a></li>
</ul>

(Gunnar Helliesen) #44

This is so simple and brilliant. Thank you!

Gunnar

This is so helpful, thank you!

Example: https://minecraftly.com

(Daniela) #47

You need some adjustments, for new users it’s almost impossible click the Sign up button (unless they click on the bottom-left side)

Thanks, do you know how to fix it? I’m struggling with it.

(Daniela) #49

Adjust the margin-left to the container of the elements

(Roland) #50

If someone can help me out. I did the full on this also. However the links are back to back like a sentence with only a single space between them. I tried adding padding-right to it but doesnt work. Ive tried several options as using inspect element it only seperates on active.

a.span#top-navbar-links {
        padding-right: 30px !important;
       display: inline-block !important;
       margin: 10px 0 0 0;
   }

with and without the span#

Cant seem to get it to separate

(cpradio) #51

I think you want, span#top-navbar-links a

(Roland) #52

Worked perfect. Thank you!

(Paul) #53

@ky_metro I worked through your mod to add menus to my site and that’s fine but it now shows a terrible font for the topics. My site (IP only at present) is http://138.197.179.18/

Does anyone know which part of the css I need to change to get back to the default Discourse font for the topics?

That font is Open Sans. Look for a reference to that in your code.

(Paul) #55

@HAWK you mean the nasty font on my site is Open Sans, right?

What should the default font and size be for topics?

I quite like that font, but yes, that’s what I meant.

If you remove any font references from your custom CSS you’ll be back with the defaults.

(Paul) #57

@HAWK I was removing the Open Sans as you were replying. I think default is much better, what do you think now I have changed it back to normal Discourse?

I think it’s a matter of personal taste and staying on brand. I personally quite like Open Sans but I think your site looks great now. :slight_smile:

(Vanina Yordanova) #59

I would like to add some text on the top of my header. I increase the size of the header and add a banner as background image. That worked great. Now I want to display a welcome message. When I add it to the header plase in customize but does not display. What could be the reason?

(Jay Pfaffman) #60

Edit your post to include your css that’s not working.

Just a quick tip for those with nit-picky concerns with how this looks on desktop Safari. Scrolling up with a mouse wheel or trackpad when already at the top of the page causes what I believe is referred to as “rubber banding.” To keep the header and the menu links from separating from the top of the page, use the following CSS (haven’t seen any adverse effects by changing this in testing, but please call any out if you find any):

header.d-header.clearfix {
   position: fixed;
}

Example scrolling up past top of page before applying CSS:
not-fixed

Example after applying CSS:
fixed