HTML/RTF pasting

Yes! It’s better than clipboard2markdown which doesn’t handle lists at all well.

I haven’t done enough research to know whether the issue is with clipboard2markdown’s implementation (which is over a year old) or with [domchristie/to-markdown), the JS Markdown converter which does the converting.

I don’t mind collaborative authorship on Google Docs. I actually encourage it over sending messages back-and-forth (in whatever medium). If you’re trying to work on a document with another human, there are only two games in town: Google Docs and Quip. I like Quip, but we can’t afford it. We’re a non-profit organization which works with dozens of volunteers and their $$$/user/month model prices us out. (I’ve told them that, and their response was ¯_(ツ)_/¯)

So we use Google Docs a lot, but its discussion features are very limited. I encourage discussions about documents in Discourse or email. This works reasonably well.

My original point was how to help people who draft documents in Google Docs (or MS Word or Evernote or whatever) out of a well-founded fear of typing for a long time in a text box. There’s no easy step between that kind of HTML/RTF document and Discourse. This is for single-author texts, not for collaborative editing. But a solution would help out both cases.

D’oh! So it is! That was not the most important part of the rant in my OP, but the advice is well taken. I’ve been telling people to use [quote]…[/quote] for quoting chunks, but it’s better to suggest the built-in solution (which also happens to be correct Markdown).

4 Likes