IMAP support for group inboxes

Yeah, will support for other email providers like Outlook and iCloud come sooner rather than later?

Oh, and that isn’t even counting lesser known email providers.

1 Like

I agree this is the best option.

2 Likes

Hi @martin,

Sorry if this was already asked, but could not find any reference on Meta.

According to:

Is it still under your plans to incorporate Outlook/Exchange Online for IMAP? If so, how Discourse will connect to Outlook/Exchange Online, giving the fact that MS is moving into the OAuth2 authentication direction ? (as per Authenticate an IMAP, POP or SMTP connection using OAuth | Microsoft Docs)

Cheers,
Ismael

2 Likes

Sorry, we don’t currently have further improvements for IMAP support on our roadmap, nor do we have plans to add support for other providers at this time.

It turned out to be a far too complex piece with too many edge cases to worry about.

I recommend sticking with the simple to reason about POP3 integration.

4 Likes

Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your reply. Indeed we will like to stick to POP3 if possible, but if I’m not mistaken, Discourse communicates with basic-auth with POP3.

According to MS, basic-auth will be phased out as of October 2022 (please see Basic Authentication and Exchange Online – September 2021 Update - Microsoft Tech Community - Starting September 1, 2022, we will remove the opt out option, and starting October 1, 2022, we’ll begin turning off Basic Auth in all tenants, regardless of usage.).

Hence, re-formulating my question. Is it under your plans providing Oauth2 authentication for the current POP3 mail protocol?

Thanks,
Ismael

3 Likes

We actually do SSL by default :wink:

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Add richer authentication support for POP3

Hi, I use iRedmail Server, I have no problem connecting to my IMAP server but can’t choose which mailbox to syncronize.

bild

1 Like

Is this still supported and/or possible?

documentation tweak

This is now pm tags allowed for groups

Add Gmail to another email client - Gmail Help says

So I guess the Google doesn’t want us to do this anymore?

Also, on the system where I set this up before on the group settings page, I click the “test” buttons and it claims SMTP and IMAP settings are valid but error logs show:

Unexpected error when checking SMTP credentials for group 42 (support). : OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError : SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 peeraddr=142.251.163.109:587 state=error: wrong version number
3 Likes