Improved experience for having multiple conversations in chat

AI-generated summary

The discussion focuses on improving the experience of having multiple conversations in chat. jordan-violet suggests two potential solutions: utilizing the sidebar to prioritize DMs and chat channels when chat is full-screened, and allowing multiple chat windows or a persistent chat on the right-hand column when chat is not full-screened. mcwumbly recommends trying the “Show separate sidebar modes for forum and chat” user preference, which can simplify the sidebar when chat is in full screen. However, jordan-violet doesn’t see the expected changes after enabling the preference, and mcwumbly clarifies the behavior of the preference. Ultimately, jordan-violet discovers a bug and plans to submit it to the team.

When utilizing chat as a team, transitioning back and forth between conversations is somewhat of a cumbersome problem—you can only have the context of one chat at a time. It would great to see either (or both) of the following:

When chat is full-screened

  • Use the sidebar to prioritize DMs and chat channels over everything else (or better yet, don’t show anything else at all)

When chat is not full-screened

  • Have the ability for having multiple chat windows open so you can maintain the context of at least 2-3 chats
  • Have the option for a persistent chat on the right-hand column of the site
2 Likes

For the full screen case, there is a user preference worth trying out at /my/preferences/chat called “Show separate sidebar modes for forum and chat”

I have it set to “Always” on a site where I use chat a lot, and often keep a separate tab open for chat.

1 Like

I have that set. What should I be seeing instead? I made sure to refresh, but everything looks the same, I think.

1 Like

With it set to Always, you should see the following:

  • When chat is in full screen:
    Only chat channels and DMs are listed in the sidebar
  • When chat is not open or in drawer mode:
    No chat channels or DMs are listed in the sidebar

With it set to “only in full screen”, you should see:

  • When chat is in full screen:
    Only chat channels and DMs are listed in the sidebar
  • When chat is not open or in drawer mode:
    Sidebar shows all sections

With it set to Never, you should see:

  • Sidebar always shows all sections
1 Like

Have a bug that I can’t show externally—will submit to team!

2 Likes