Installing on Kubernetes

What are GCP resources?

In the context of hosting it will be Google Cloud Platform.

2 Likes

Google cloud postgres and redis services.

3 Likes

I haven’t been able to get this working but I thought I’d drop these in here incase people find them useful.

https://hub.helm.sh/charts/halkeye/discourse That’s a helm chart for Discourse.

A few other references:

4 Likes

image.repository string “halkeye/discourse”

I wouldn’t recommend any k8s setup for Discourse that isn’t building the Docker image inside the cluster, or you’re at the mercy of whoever this random person is for Discourse updates.

3 Likes

I’ve considered offering a service where I’d be the random person doing those updates, but I’ve been very afraid of the support implications both for myself and meta. Real Soon Now I’ll be getting my k8s infrastructure tuned for my little bare metal cluster, so I’ll think about it again then.

2 Likes

yeah I just noticed that. We probably could use the official one to build helm charts.

I’m not sure why he had to build his own version.

What is the entrypoint that we give to the docker container. I see that the default entrypoint is

"Cmd": [
            "/bin/bash",
            "-c",
            "cd /pups && git pull && /pups/bin/pups --stdin"
        ],

which is just updating pups Should we change this with something else?

@Geoffrey_Challen Nice writeup. I wonder, to solve the problem of production DB being needed during upgrade of the image (or any bootstrap actually), wouldn’t it make sense to use backups?
The steps would be:

1. You have some Discourse running with your settings, topics, users, etc.
  2. Before upgrade, make a backup of Discourse (using the Discourse’s backup solution)
  3. Generate a new image (and do it “fresh”, without your existing DB, just start over)
  4. Run the new container from the new image
  5. Restore the backup from point 2.
  6. Done?

The steps may be automated I believe. In this way you don’t have to modify the default scripts, you use them as intended to bootstrap a new image.

Any updates? Still no official way to install Discourse to Kubernetes?

2 Likes

Is there any update on this?

I am using the Bitnami/Discourse Helm Chart but want to move to the officially supported Discourse Docker image.

3 Likes