List of full moderation tools?

I remember thinking something like this would be helpful when I was first a moderator on a Discourse forum and was looking around here on Meta for finding out about things. I know there is a lot of helpful info here but it was just a little hard trying to tell if anything was out of date, and trying to jump around different topics to get an idea of the basics.

So recently, I had been thinking for a while about starting a wiki here on meta for a basic explanation of things such as the moderation queue, and keeping track of basically anything helpful related to moderation, and try mentioning things that are part of Discourse’s philosophy along the way (to provide more context about how some features were designed to be used).

(But I suppose I wasn’t sure how it’d be received, and have tried looking for topics already done for this if there are any.) But there’s not really a central place I’ve found at the moment (please point me to any if there are. Maybe there is and I haven’t looked hard enough, but if there was, I think it would be helpful to make it easier to find). for example these are some topics related to moderation tools here on Meta that I’ve found, but it’s always taken an extra step to find them (through jumping around on other topics, or through searching)

These are a little bit extra and they’re not directly related to this topic on just the moderation tools, but for new moderators, it would be helpful side information.

After seeing this topic, I think I’ll go with doing that – starting off a community wiki for documenting moderation-related tools. I’m not sure if it would be helpful but I just know I might have found it helpful so I’ll have it for anyone else who might feel that way.

I know it might seem a bit excessive documenting things (you might see it as holding people’s hands maybe), but extra info on the tools would indeed be helpful to know, so I’ll try put together a place for it here on Meta (I have made a test start already but haven’t shared anything here yet)

If you have any thoughts on this please let me know :slight_smile:

(Also apologies if I am not making much sense…just feel free to tell me to clarify anything.)

And with starting a wiki here on Meta, I mean making it a how-to, I suppose, that anyone can add to (I don’t mean that I can document everything because I don’t know everything, just wanted to make a start from things that I do know)

10 Likes