Managing group membership via authentication

Note that I’ve made an updated draft PR with a new approach (incorporating changes requested by @david on my last attempt). As mentioned in the comments to the PR, I’m looking to finish it off sometime this week.

3 Likes

Just so I’m not getting myself excited for no reason — this says “google”… will it also work with non-google oauth2 sso?

2 Likes

It’s a generic system, but the first supported use case will be groups in a google workspace. Once the system is in place adding support for additional providers will not be too difficult.

5 Likes

Note that this PR was moved from draft to published over the weeknd (i.e. it’s ready for review again).

4 Likes

I just merged this PR - huge thanks for all your work here @angus! Excited to see how this gets used and extended going forward! :confetti_ball:

I’ve labelled the site setting “Experimental” for now, to give us some time to test it out and make sure everything is working smoothly. Once we’re confident, and we’ve added support in a few more authentication providers, I’ll be sure to make a #feature:announcements topic for the feature.

7 Likes

Awesome! :slight_smile:

Thank you David. It wouldn’t have happened without your support. Happy to help with adding additional providers.

5 Likes

YES! Thank you everyone. We’re planning to use this extensively in Fedora once it works with oauth2.

4 Likes

I’m also excited for this to be available for non-Google oauth2/openID logins…any update on if/when that option might be available?

4 Likes

We don’t have a specific timeline, but it’s certainly #pr-welcome if anyone would like to submit a patch

3 Likes

Looking forward to this as well! The use case for us is to pull group membership from Keycloak on authentication.

5 Likes