MOSS Roadmap - Mailing lists

(Carlo Kok) #10

Isn’t that more of a feature that could better fit in a plugin than core discourse?

(Sam Saffron) #11

Importers are all core, see discourse/script/import_scripts at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub similarly a bridge or bridging scripts can live in core.

Entering a URL to magically make everything work may not be core, I am not sure, but most of the code in my above “imagineering” session would live in core.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Even as a partial import this is hugely important and helpful in seeding a new Discourse with users and content… just forward a few giant email threads in and bam:

• you have a bunch of staged users ready for people to join and take ownership of their accounts (via email address)
  • you have a bunch of useful, real, content on the site

(Carlo Kok) #13

ah. That makes sense now.

(jon r) #14

@thoka Should we document the current adaptation to any of these currently missing features by linking dummy/robot discourse users to mailing lists, thus enabling targeted notifications?

@all Does this also involve diff messages of edited postings as HackPad sends them?

(Tobias Eigen) #15

I had a recipe back in the day for doing this by importing mailman-generated mbox archives into fudforum. It worked incredibly well, just as you describe. A quick google search turmed up an oldish stackoverflow topic about it that explains it reasonably well.

I also am very interested in the staged users concept - is this discussed anywhere in any detail already on meta? Saw a mention of it in the below topic but when I tested it a few weeks back I saw no sign of staged users or an explanation of how it would work.

Seems to me that, if staged accounts were to work, then we’re not far away from making this happen. w00t!

(Geoff Bowers) #16

Would love to see an importer for Google Groups mailing lists too, but scraping out Groups content looks to be a bit messy.

There is a bash script for generating an mbox from a Google Group which works with a bit of fiddling (need a cookie file to get emails). It also has options for picking up new posts which helps in mirroring, though i haven’t tried it. Perhaps that would be an approach if mbox imports were rock solid and repeatable.

Also, would the mbox approach allow for importing into an existing forum? Something that might be of interest to our community is merging our existing Discourse forum, with an existing Google Group.

Persistent unread post for certain topics
(Amir) #17

Being able to merge multiple mailing lists into one Discourse forum would be interesting too. For example, importing (or even mirroring?) them as different categories.

(Tobias Eigen) #19

I got this feedback from a member today relating to discourse and attachments:

Tobias, is there a different way to attach docs on discourse? this function only allows me to save the document, not open it…For a couple of Vivek’s e-mails, I’ve saved the document, and then gotten pulled away, ans then never opened it… can there be an “open in another tab” option? Or even a kind of attachment like in google, where the pop up box would have an “open” option?

We use gmail, and I am assuming she’s hoping for something more gmail-like.

The first request here I think is for “mailing list mode” to actually attach the file to the message. I hope this can be added to the roadmap, at least as an admin setting.

The second is more of a “wondering”. Is there not a way to indicate in the mailing that a link is to an attachment, which email clients can then use to offer different ways to access said attachment?

(Jeff Atwood) #20

I am not clear what you’re talking about here. Can you be more specific? What’s being attached? Images?

(Tobias Eigen) #21

usually it’s .doc files and other work-related documents. sorry, i just included the picture for fun. :blush:

(Jeff Atwood) #22

I don’t really see a practical use for the request – if the user can’t figure out how to open a downloaded file, they are going to be in a world of hurt sooner or later… they need to learn how to do that.

(Tobias Eigen) #23

I think she’s just hoping the functionality can be made more equivalent to what she’s used to. That would happen if the file were actually attached to the message and not provided as a link. She really is a candidate for mailing list mode in a big way - she does not log into our discourse at all and, even now after a year, misses the google groups we replaced.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #24

Update - 6. April, 2016

Major shoutout to @Simon_Cossar, @gdpelican and @joebuhlig for stepping up to the email plate and taking on a portion. @zogstrip please let me know if I missed anything major.

Will post another update in a couple of months!

Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install
(Tobias Eigen) #25

amazing. congrats :tada: and many thanks! :heart_eyes_cat:

(Régis Hanol) #26

I think I fixed that one. Not sure though, will have to confirm this.

(Tarek Loubani) #27

Hello @erlend_sh. I wonder if you would consider adding the feature to allow replying only to sender to within this work? Before I found this thread, I described the problem in another topic that you commented in. Thank you!

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #28

If that topic culminates in (1) a clear specification that (2) multiple users clearly want, then it’s a great candidate for MOSS work, yes.

(Tarek Loubani) #29

Could you point to an example of a clear specification so that I could generate one?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #30

Sure, you can peruse our many #feature:spec topics to get an idea of what we’re looking for in a spec. But there’s no point spending too much time putting together a spec until you’ve reached a semblance of a consensus in the topic where this feature request is currently being discussed.