Must have plugins and components for Discourse?

AI-generated summary

The discussion revolves around recommended plugins and components for a fresh Discourse installation. Carlo asks for suggestions, and pfaffman advises checking the Discourse pricing page to see what plugins are offered in various plans. merefield suggests browsing the #plugin and #theme-component tags to find popular options.

Canapin shares a list of plugins and components they use on their own forums, including:

  • Plugins: Data Explorer, Who’s Online, Discourse Yearly Review, and Discourse Locations (unofficial)
  • Components: DiscoToc - automatic table of contents, Inline PDF Previews, and MD Topic List Mobile (unofficial)

Carlo thanks Canapin for the list and expresses interest in DiscoToc - automatic table of contents.

Hi everyone.
I haven’t’ used Discourse in a while, now I’m back I see so much has changed (what a great community!).
If I had to install a fresh new forum, what components, and plugins (or themes) would you recommend?

Thanks a lot.

Have a look at Discourse pricing | Discourse - Civilized Discussion and see what plugins are offered on the various plans.

3 Likes

Go to Customization > Plugin , select “Top” and Period “Year”?

Same for Tag Customization > Theme component ?

4 Likes

It entirely depends on your needs, whether it’s cosmetic or adds features.

I can still share the components and plugins I use on all (or almost all) my own forums.

Plugins:

Data Explorer: always useful as an admin.
Who’s Online: it’s a nice touch to inform people that there is actually other folks browsing at the same time, and it fits my communities sizes
Discourse Yearly Review: adds a bit of fun :slight_smile:
Discourse Locations (unofficial): I use it on my trading categories.

Components:

DiscoToc - automatic table of contents: great for guides
Inline PFD Previews: it’s convenient
MD Topic List Mobile (unofficial): greatly improves the topic list on mobile in my opinion

4 Likes

Thanks, this is a great tip!

Thank you for the list! DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents looks great