Need ability to ban one or more users from a category

Hey! Thanks for answering.

Sure thing, last time I commented this but I can add more context, of course, the situation is as follows:

Context:

• Discourse has multiple categories.

• Categories are strongly enforced on a “theme” based.

• Some of those themes can get hotter than others (say Sports, for example).

• Sometimes a user is ok (even ideal) across the Community but there is that theme/category where they behave like a different person entirely (investment/beliefs/etc).

• My view here is that it is a behavior similar to an alcoholic being exposed to a mini-bar or an open bar. You can ask them to not interact with it or to “just drink water” but what are you going to do… it happens.

• I’m trying to avoid removing otherwise perfectly functional users from the community just because of that category that makes them berserk.

Therefore:

• My initial idea was to just add those users to a group and that group be removed from a category or multiple ones. Sort of a “soft ban” or “soft punishment” to try to incentivate cooldowns or even just removing people entirely from certain categories.

Problems:

• Groups add, and don’t subtract so I can’t use them in the way I was thinking.

• A possible solution was to add all users to a group that has access to said categories and then remove the ones that are being soft-banned. Problem is that there is no mechanism that puts new users automatically in a new category (except for trust levels).

• I can’t resort to Trust Levels only as those come with functionalities that I’m trying to avoid removing from said people.

Updates

• I discovered @Falco’s extension here and it seemed like maaaaaybe it can help me with this.

I hope my explanation makes sense. :pray:

Thanks!