RAMP accessibility issues

Hello,

I am working on the RAMP COVID-19 initiative. We chose Discourse for our forum and are very happy with it.

A colleague and I have been looking at accessibility. I believe that we have addressed low-contrast issues by means of the admin CSS functionality. But we have some issues, says WAVE, that we are not sure we can tackle ourselves, as follows:

• Linked image missing alternative text: these are to do with the avatar pictures. There is a descriptive title, but alt is empty.

• There is a missing label in every page:

<div><input type="text"></div>

• There is an empty heading in every page:

<div class="title"><h3></h3><!-- --></div>

• There are numerous reported empty buttons, associated with svg.

• There are empty links, e.g.:
    <a href="" aria-hidden="true" tabindex="-1" class="tabLoc"></a>
    and
    <a href="" class="edit-topic" title="edit the title and category of this topic" data-ember-action="" data-ember-action-27="27"><svg class="fa d-icon d-icon-pencil-alt svg-icon svg-string" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"><use xlink:href="#pencil-alt"></svg></a>.

• There is an empty table header: <th data-sort-order="posters" class="posters"></th>

I will be very surprised if we are the only ones to have these, so I am wondering if WAVE is overthinking things or if perhaps we are missing a trick or two. Any help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Kostas

8 Likes