Redis connection timed out

Are you running out of memory?

1 Like

According to monitoring, no (see chart above). I was also thinking about this, that perhaps Linux’s out-of-memory killer is randomly killing processes. But I have no indication that this is the case. It is also interesting that the server typically runs for about 18 hours then goes down (with Redis connection errors in log well before this). Any idea how I could verify if processes are being killed due to memory pressure?

oom-killer events appear in syslog “Out of memory: Kill process BLAH BLAH”

6 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: Found nothing in syslog, so I guess I can check that off as well …

Was just reading through the official docker install guide, and found this statement regarding the convenience script that you suggested:

Using these scripts is not recommended for production environments

Are you sure installing Docker with this script for a production forum is a good idea?

It’s not a good idea, but it is the least-worst idea.

4 Likes

I’m sure that I’ve done hundreds of installs and the bay majority of them are working just fine.

If you know a better way to install docker for your purposes, you should do that. I generally try to support people who know nothing about system administration. It makes no sense to me, but last I checked, three version of docker installed by default on Ubuntu was wildly out of date.

1 Like

I guess what I am asking is the following: the convenience script installs from the Edge channel, while Docker recommends the Stable channel for production. Have you found any specific advantages of running Edge as opposed to Stable in the context of Discourse? As I do most of my setups with Ansible anyways, I am not worried about convenience, just am looking for what works best.

A couple years back, the stable channel seemed not so useful, and far behind.

Perhaps it’s time to reconsider using the docker that’s in the default Ubuntu distribution. Perhaps when 18.04 seems safe. @mpalmer?

1 Like

Playing around with 18.04, default docker.io package would install Docker 17.12, while docker-ce from Docker repo (stable channel) currently installs 18.03. Edge channel, installed through convenience script, currently installs 18.05. I guess stable (18.03) would probably be the sweet spot atm, while 17.12 would do as well, if I read this correctly: Discourse web interface becomes unresponsive a few minutes after starting

1 Like