Shared topics between multiple discourse instances

Thanks for reviving this thread @oshyan! I’d also like to see if there has been any further thought in the Discourse community or team about allowing forums to decide on topics that they’d like to share.

I read through and appreciate the issues that @j.jaffeux raised on the technical, and admin/moderation side. So I see that it’s not something that would be ideal to make too regular or a core feature in discourse platform. Still, I work in a space where the suggestion of using internet principles and having the single tip of conversation point to one forum at a time wouldn’t work that well.

Hence, I’m wondering whether there may be a lower-tech solution that two forums could apply here, where each administrator creates an account for forwarding responses to the other forum and sets a bot to forward and respond with a quoted (i.e. with the user name + plus the original post markdown from the other forum) response in the linked topics/posts. Yes, the timestamps won’t be perfect as that depends on the servers’ and bots’ latencies and policies, but it will have the eventual inclusion of all responses.

1 Like