Sign in with Apple

In addition to David’s comments above I found a related topic on Apple’s developer support site which attracted an official response that confirms the issue:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/121496

Official Response:

Hi aslkdjalksdjasdasd,
This behaves correctly, user info is only sent in the ASAuthorizationAppleIDCredential upon initial user sign up. Subsequent logins to your app using Sign In with Apple with the same account do not share any user info and will only return a user identifier in the ASAuthorizationAppleIDCredential. It is recommened that you securely cache the initial ASAuthorizationAppleIDCredential containing the user info until you can validate that an account has succesfully been created on your server.
Patrick

As one developer comments:

So wait… If for some reason the first redirect from Apple gets lost for one of many VERY common reasons then we’ve permanently lost that user since there’s no other way to get their information. There is NO other way to get this info?

and another:

Or if something goes wrong downstream, we would have the customers complaining and support will tell them to go into AppleId website to revoke the permission, so they can properly register again. I believe this will be a poor experience and will make people not using this login mechanism if they start having this sort of problems.

So I don’t think you can safely use this in Production, sadly. This would be a support nightmare.

I suggest we put this to sleep until Apple wakes up to the problem they’ve created: in their attempt to improve security it seems they’ve over-compromised robustness.

11 Likes