SSO with Firebase

are you using cookie-parser?

1 Like

Using Redirects instead of Cookies

Hey yall, thanks for all the guidance, I got stuck with the cookie approach because my server is on a different domain and safari is at war with third party cookies. Iā€™ve written up a stack overflow Q&A with a redirect approach, happy authenticating! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just to say that Iā€™d be very intersted too to have an easy integration of firebase authentification into discourse.

Hmm, what is the purpose of doing this exactly? Are you not using firebase authentication elsewhere in a webapp apart from discourse? I am and donā€™t want to mess with that setting, I would prefer it as ā€œlocalā€ (Authentication State Persistence  |  Firebase)

Just some notes for others that go down this path:

• call your cookie ā€œ__sessionā€ if you use firebase hosting. The rewrite rules filter out all other cookies for caching purposes.
  • you want to replace the relevant code above with something like this so that you donā€™t allow unvalidated emails (big security risk).
      auth
        .verifyIdToken(idToken)
        .then(function (decodedClaims) {
          // In this case, we are enforcing that the user signed in in the last 5 minutes.
          // and they have a verified email
          if (
            decodedClaims.email_verified &&
            new Date().getTime() / 1000 - decodedClaims.auth_time < 5 * 60
          ) {
            return auth.createSessionCookie(idToken, { expiresIn });
          }
          throw new Error("UNAUTHORIZED REQUEST!");
        })
  • there is a ā€œlogout redirectā€ setting in discourse. You probably want to use this to hit a URL that clears the __session cookie (can only be done via a backend api call) so the user isnā€™t automatically logged in as the same user as before when they try to login again.
1 Like

Where can you implement this code?