First off, I love the Summarise feature!
I am still testing it. But I noticed that, despite changing my interface language, it summarises only in English. Am i missing a setting somewhere?
The discussion is about the Summarise feature. hmmmnotsure loves the feature but noticed it only summarizes in English, even when the interface language is changed. Falco explained that the summary language depends on the discussion language and the AI model supporting that language. hmmmnotsure shared an example where the summary was in English, despite writing a message in Spanish with the interface language set to Spanish. Falco asked about the model being used, and hmmmnotsure replied it was Gemini Flash. Falco suggested trying a different model, such as Gemini-1.5-Flash-8b-Exp-0827 or Gemini-1.5-Pro-Exp-0827, as the original Flash model did not perform well in Spanish.
First off, I love the Summarise feature!
I am still testing it. But I noticed that, despite changing my interface language, it summarises only in English. Am i missing a setting somewhere?
Yes, currently it summarized in the same language the discussion takes place. Of course, that is also depends on the actual AI Model supporting the language in which the language takes place.
What is your use case? Do you consider that offering only the summary in the user language will be enough for a user to be able to reply or obtain enough information from a topic?
On this area, we are planning to address the use case of translating all user generated content in a forum to a configurable set of target languages to handle the use case of multilingual audiences. This would all the topics and posts in a forum, not only the summary.
Interestingly, I wrote a message in Spanish and I had my interface language changed to Spanish. Yet, summarisation was in English only.
Which model are you using for the summarization?
Gemini Flash
Gemini-1.5-Flash-Exp-0827, Gemini-1.5-Flash-8b-Exp-0827 or Gemini-1.5-Flash-001 ?
Original Flash didn’t score great in Spanish, I’d try the newest one and if that fails, also try Gemini-1.5-Pro-Exp-0827.