Topic-specific reply template

Thanks @downey. You’re correct. The use case is for a topic calling for consistent (templated) responses that doesn’t itself merit a new category and doesn’t rely on respondents to manually select the template.

I realize this is an edge case, but after running into it a few times, I thought I’d make the feature request. Perhaps if a few other Discourse users find themselves wishing they could provide an ad-hoc template for a specific topic and find their way here, there will be more use cases for the feature. In the meantime, we’ll continue to use the workaround: asking people to provide specific details in their responses within the original post and hope they read it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I found myself in the same place. The AIbot sent me to the wrong thread, but then I found this one.

The use case is pretty simple, I think. Anytime someone might want to have a category-wide setting that starts off every post with a template, except instead of it being a persistent category thing, it’s a prompt for the community on a specific issue.

Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the same need. I can explain my use case, as it’s very simple:

I’ve started a Discourse forum for a small Norwegian football :soccer: team.

One of the categories is for match threads, where I post a subject for every match. When I do this, the current functionality, of having a template for use with new subjects, is very helpful for creating these match threads. :+1:t2:

But I want users replies to the match thread subjects to be pre-filled with something like:

Delete this sentence + the things below that don’t apply, so people can see when you wrote.
:hourglass_flowing_sand: Before the match
:stopwatch: 4 min
:hourglass: After the match

And I don’t see a way to do that now, and not with the discourse-reply-template-component either.

2 Likes