Traditional multi level hierarchy vs flat discourse hierarchy

you are right my mistake, I got lost in details last night.

[1] Isn’t it possible to add additional drop-down boxes ?
That would somehow simulate advanced search

agree. I’m trying to bring together old, deep structured thinking with the approach of discourse.

but still, as you said

not sure if there will be only

as there is a focus on projects on very low, geographical limited, area.
Of course, certain topics will have national or global significance. How to moderate that/put all in the right context/make it available in the right corner of discourse is properly something where learning by doing applies.

If we decide to rely on tags only, your tag intersection approach could help tremendously.
Before we do that step, we need to customize the tags and intersection landing page to look somehow the same as the categories landing page, is that feasible?
I think of making the layout of SE23 Forum to use boxes filled with “sub-tags” as implied in Higher level of granularity for category & subcategory styling (but there I ask to improve boxes for subcategories).
In addition, as soon as you click on box or tag within a box, it triggers the query https://thepavilion.io/tags/intersection/tag1/tag2/tag3/.... The result is rendered to displayed in the same fashion as the box style (or whatever we consider as appropriated).

As you see I’m still caught in the multi-level route as it is the same analogy, when you zoom in from global to local scale. That is for any new user the most natural navigation route to get to his local node.
I hope you are proved correct by

but there might be concerns that a level becomes bloated by too many tags. For example, having all cities of the USA or China in the subcategories China and USA, respectively can get messy.

agree but although I’m properly

:grin:. That statement will help to de-emotionalise the deep level approach.

can you explain it in more detail or is there an example around?
Is this navigation bar customization somehow the same as asked in very beginning of this post, marked by [1]

I created kind of mockups visualizing a possible roadmap, postulating that level nation and cities cannot live side by side by making each of them a subcategory of local nodes.

1. Landing page is categories

2. Landing page is categories but local nodes spring up like mushrooms

3. lading page tags, custom theme takes care of categories like layout

3 Likes