Upgrade Failed - Unable to Reinstall

I am trying to recover from an upgrade that went bad when I had a disk issue that caused the container to crash. Now when I try to run ./discourse-doctor or ./launcher rebuild.. or even a new install it fails here. Seems like there may be an issue with the container image?

2.0.20260915-0028: Pulling from discourse/base
Digest: sha256:5028d077b061225507e7093fda1ff5bdc64d483b5c0397776f9a52c50008cd9b
Status: Downloaded newer image for discourse/base:2.0.20260915-0028
docker.io/discourse/base:2.0.20260915-0028
Ensuring launcher is up to date
Launcher is up-to-date
2.0.20260915-0028: Pulling from discourse/base
Digest: sha256:5028d077b061225507e7093fda1ff5bdc64d483b5c0397776f9a52c50008cd9b
Status: Image is up to date for discourse/base:2.0.20260915-0028
docker.io/discourse/base:2.0.20260915-0028
/usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems/basic_specification.rb:42:in 'singleton class': uninitialized constant Gem::Deprecate (NameError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems/basic_specification.rb:41:in '<class:BasicSpecification>'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems/basic_specification.rb:7:in '<top (required)>'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems/specification.rb:11:in 'Kernel#require_relative'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems/specification.rb:11:in '<top (required)>'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems.rb:1372:in 'Kernel#require_relative'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/3.4.0/rubygems.rb:1372:in '<top (required)>'
        from <internal:gem_prelude>:2:in 'Kernel#require'
        from <internal:gem_prelude>:2:in '<internal:gem_prelude>'
cd /pups && git pull && git checkout v1.0.3 && /pups/bin/pups --stdin
git: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre2-8.so.0: file too short
bootstrap failed with exit code 127
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
078e7b891ce7ebf3454c59f2c0ab346d023d16539b4d8b4b33bf268f5109753b

Hello @embusa Thank you for reaching out.

I’ve reviewed the error. The issue appears to be at the host/Docker environment level, not with the Discourse application itself. The key error is libpcre2-8.so.0: file too short, which strongly suggests a corrupted system library following the disk issue.

Oh! That makes sense given the disk issue - I was thinking it was coming from the container. Let me try on a new system. I’ve been looking at it so long I didn’t realize that. I was focused on the ruby error at the beginning.

Yes, exactly. The Ruby error was just a distraction ( the libpcre2 error points to the disk/system issue ) . Testing on a clean system should confirm it quickly.

DM for the further discussion. Thanks

I’d try

cd /var/discourse
./launcher cleanup
docker image rm discourse/base:2.0.20260915-0028
./launcher rebuild app

Why are you thanking them?