Webauthn support

GitHub is on that same page too:

8 Likes

Re. “Webauthn as a first factor authenticator”, there’s discussion for for level 2 of the standard to mention the privacy implications this can have: https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/1250/

Re. security key naming, I agree for the reasons outlined on the RubyGems.org PR.

I also suggested there to add a “last used for login at” timestamp in addition to security key nickname to help disambiguate them and spot potential malicious activity.

8 Likes

At work (which is a high security context) we also have an alert that emails you after a security key has been unused for 90 days, prompting you to either use it or remove it from your account.

I think implementing that at 360 days might be a good idea?

7 Likes

Great idea. Having a lower interval would be annoying as we use “infinite” sessions and I think most people will have a day to day key plus a backup one in a drawer. Not counting multiple devices native security keys.

6 Likes

I am pleased to announce that I have just merged the PR for this feature, so we can kick some webauthn tires very, very soon! :tada:

8 Likes

Just added my Android fingerprint, Yubikey via NFC and Yubikey via USB-C, using Chrome Android and Firefox Desktop and all looks ok so far.

Big bug @Martin_Brennan @featheredtoast, no way to log in on Mobile view:

Works fine on Desktop view:

10 Likes

Some random feedback :slight_smile:

This does not look right:

We should follow the composer here on margin and color of cancel.

Instead of `Password reset email" feels a bit like it does not belong here.

Instead maybe?

Continue cancel

Forgot password? <- in light grey

Password entry looks way big, should be a bit smaller.

I think this should say “Remove” or “Delete”

If you try to add a yubikey that you already added a cryptic error shows up.

Overall :+1: :+1: :+1: :confetti_ball:

9 Likes

Argh, I knew I was missing a route in review. Good catch :heart:

I think it’s been like this for a while, but yes these are good changes

Agree, good change.

Perhaps we can re-use the built-in chrome copy here? “You have already registered this security key. You don’t have to register it again.” is a nice clear copy.

9 Likes

Thanks @Falco and @sam for your feedback. I didn’t realise there was a different route for mobile login either! I will start work on these fixes including the password labelling/button changes tonight, hopefully even open a new PR to fix!

7 Likes

I’m really glad this worked on your Android as well (even though the mobile view is not working correctly) — I didn’t have an Android to test with.

6 Likes

May I recommend the Xiaomi Mi 9?

3 Likes

I’m not sure I’m ready to return to Android – I love my iPhone 8 too much :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Here is the PR to fix up the above :rocket:

5 Likes

Who said return? That is old world thinking! Modern people own multiple devices :wink:

7 Likes

This is very nice!

One minor niggle though: on Safari/Mac, Web Authentication is a developer-only feature, off by default. When enabled, it works well. But we should likely show a message or a warning when Web Authentication is not enabled. Currently, on default Safari, nothing in the UI indicates that the registration process won’t work (the console has an error):

10 Likes

We can feature detect using navigator.credentials I assume.

9 Likes

Some people have a hard time justifying the extra expense even though it’s nice :smiley:

6 Likes

Argh I did that feature check on navigator.credentials.get but not create sorry about that, will be a quick fix!

7 Likes

The most recent commit seems to be working. I was able to use 2-factor (with fingerprint!) on my android phone just now.

5 Likes

Hey Penar, I’ve got a fix up for this now, are you able to check it out on Safari? [FIX] Check webauthn support when registering security keys by mjrbrennan · Pull Request #8146 · discourse/discourse · GitHub . I’m just not sure if the method of feature detection I’m using will work with Safari having the feature turned off.

9 Likes