Loading slider issues

AI-generated summary

Loading Slider Issues

The loading slider in Discourse is experiencing several issues, as reported by Don. These issues include:

  • The slider sometimes retaining the previous page’s scroll position
  • Third-party plugins, such as the Locations Plugin, not refreshing properly when navigating between users
  • Clicking the logo on the homepage not always refreshing the topic list and jumping to the top
  • A split-second empty state UI appearing when navigating between user activity tabs
  • The online indicator from the Discourse Who’s Online plugin showing up on the wrong user profile when navigating between profiles

Moin noted that the issue with the logo not always taking you to the top of the page was also reported in another topic.

David has acknowledged the issues and provided updates, including a fix for the Locations Plugin issue (https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/22548). The other issues have been split into separate topics for further tracking:

Hello,

The loading slider has some issues, what I noticed up to now.

  1. Sometimes it keeps the previous page scroll position. I am not sure what cause this. I reported it before with Docs: Horizontal loading slider - #107 by Don
    It happens lots of places for example on user pages…

  2. On user page for example the Locations Plugin address not refresh when I jump from a user to another like above. I think this is because slider don’t make a full refresh maybe. It seems the core information changes right so maybe the third party plugins need some change to work this?

  3. On homepage clicking the logo seems do nothing. Sometimes the slider activates maybe if there is a new or updated topic but clicking on logo keeps is not jumping to top. I think it should refresh the topic list and jump to top always if I click logo.

  4. On user page when I jump between user navigation the current page empty statement message show up.

  5. Similar issue happens with Discourse Who’s Online plugin online indicator. When I go back to a user who online, than the indicator shows up on the current user profile.

Thank you!

5 Likes

That was also reported here Clicking home page logo no longer takes you to top of the page

2 Likes

Thanks for the reports @Don

Can you share a link to a site which shows this issue? I tried installing the plugin locally but couldn’t immediately figure out how to show data on the user profile :thinking:

1 Like

We run the locations plugin on our Discourse too, if that helps?

We’re getting some really strange new-post loading / notifications issues since updating last week too, I’ll document these in another post soon.

2 Likes

Thanks @Don and @Richie - this should solve the issue for the locations plugin: DEV: Automatically re-render widget when arguments change by davidtaylorhq · Pull Request #22548 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

3 Likes

Just great when someone solves my issues for me ;). thanks David! :smiley:

1 Like

Gonna split out this topic so we can keep track of the different issues more easily:

  1. Same issue as (3) - will track in other topic

  2. Should be fixed by DEV: Automatically re-render widget when arguments change by davidtaylorhq · Pull Request #22548 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

  3. Tracking in other topic

  4. Split into Split-second 'empty state' UI when navigating between user activity tabs

  5. Split into Split-second online indicator on wrong user when navigating between profiles

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.