The discussion More data in user approval started with ganncamp suggesting that it would be helpful to display IP addresses and a lookup button in the user review queue to combat spam. JammyDodger recommended a theme component, discourse-review-ip-lookup, which ganncamp installed but couldn’t get to work. After some troubleshooting with JammyDodger, it was discovered that the component doesn’t support user approvals. fzngagan updated the theme component and mentioned that the backend doesn’t currently support sending IP addresses for user reviewables. Overgrow requested that the component be styled for mobile devices. Eventually, fzngagan announced that the feature has been merged into core Discourse, making the theme component unnecessary. @pfaffman suggested that a linting rule be implemented to require theme components to have a description in their about.json file.
But we’ve realized that the problem is coming from a specific subset of IPs and those IPs generally resolve to one of two companies. So for nearly every user, I end up clicking through to see the IP and then doing a lookup on it.
No, I’ve spotted what it is for meta. It doesn’t show on reviewables that now have deleted users (I remember it borking out when it tried previously). I can see it if I scroll to an eligible one.
Let me check a user approval one on my test site.
(and I put a better screenshot in the post above)
No, you’re right. It doesn’t seem to be appearing for a user approval reviewable. Let me see if that’s intended…
I really think that a linting rule requiring something in about.json and/or not having the default readme.md would be a good idea. Maybe have it triggered by setting a non-default version number? And then a Best Practice would be to set some version number before the thing was deployed (otherwise, one would be required to make up something that’s completely bogus before they made their first commit?).
Hey @ganncamp
I’ve updated the theme component to bring it at par with the Discourse updates. Although the support for User Reviewable isn’t there still as the Backend doesn’t support sending the IP address of the User Reviewable currently. I’ll discuss internally and let you know what we think about this change.
Would it be possible to style it properly for the mobile too? Currently the ip lookup modal is completely out of the viewport in the post review screen. Thanks!