To help drive engagement, we were thinking of curating some posts that could include embedded tweets. Any thoughts on allowing a twitter url for a tweet to be interpreted with the Twitter embed code? Or perhaps other ideas of how we could support the integration of content from Twitter?
Do you have any examples? How’s that different from Twitter onebox?
AFAICT it works here unless you mean something different
Are you looking to have the tweet styled similarly to the way it looks on twitter.com itself, and sites like storify?
This already works, provided you entered a Twitter API key in site settings, e.g.:
Just paste the URL on a line by itself, as with any other onebox:
Cool. Going to try it now.
The comment I received from @Urrunaga was that the photos weren’t appearing when she tried it. I guess it depends on the way the photo was uploaded to Twitter. Seems to work well. (or perhaps she didn’t grab the link to the tweet properly)
You need to have Twitter API keys set up in your site settings for that to work.
Can’t find where to put this … only see API keys for authentication… are they pulled from there?
Yes they are. So enable that.
Did that, now Tweets don’t embed at all.
I didn’t create a working application, just got far enough to generate the consumer and access keys and secrets.
I believe it needs to be fully configured as Twitter requires that for API access.
Yeah, that did it. Thanks so much.
Just to help out anyone else who needs to go through this process, in order to set up the rich embeds, you’ll need to:
- Register for a developer account with twitter - https://developer.twitter.com/
- Once you’ve been approved (this took about a week for me) then..
- Create a new app for your twitter developer account (you only need to complete the required fields on the form)
- Enter the app’s Twitter Consumer Key & Twitter Consumer Secret in your Discourse site’s settings - you’ll find those fields in in
admin > login
- Refresh your browser window, then paste a tweet into a post as usual