Accessibility audit and shepherd for making improvements

Hi I am the bloke from the LEDE and the OpenWRT forums. I am blind and use a screen reader called NVDA to access the internet. I will help out where I can but I don’t know much about html5 or what ever language Discourse is in, but I will try to explain how things effect me as a screen reader user. The thing I don’t like about Discourse the most is that I cant jump through the posts with my keyboard. To give you the best idea of how that would work for me I will have to compare the OpenWRT forum to this one. So here’s my work flow from when I log on to the home page of the OpenWRT forum. If any one wants to install the free screen reader NVDA you can follow my steps and see just how hard it can be to use a Discourse forum.
Step 1:
I load the page at:

Step 2:
I use the H key on my keyboard to jump through the headings on the page until i get the one i want, in this case it’s the one that says “General Discussion”
This takes 4 presses of the H key to get me to were i want to be and then i press enter.
Step 3:
I can now use my H key to jump through headings again down the page and each time I press H it reads out the topic title. I jump to a thread I want to read or reply to and press enter.
Step 4:
I then can use my H key to jump from post to post up and down the page in order and every time i press the H key it will read out the post number. That lets me know were about I am in the thread. The verry first heading I get on any thread on the openwrt forum will say how menny posts are in the thread EG
In the thread called “KRACK Attack against WPA2” it says “Posts: 1 to 25 of 105”
So then I jump from post to post again, by pressing the H key. In a Discourse forum there is know way of me jumping to posts or of knowing where about in a thread I am. After I have started reading a thread I have know way of jumping back in to a thread were i left off. I can’t find out if there is new posts. Lists of threads take a verrylong time to look through because I have to use the arrow keys to read down the hole page line by line and that takes a really long time. I hope this makes sense to you and sorry about my spelling. I am happy to answer questions.
A link that mite help is:
Accessibility Testing with the NVDA Screenreader YouTube
Thanks for reading Tapper.

13 Likes