Activation Email Help

So I’ve got Discourse up and running on my Pi, however I’m trying to run my emails through Zoho and I’ve got my Cloudflare rules applied to allow Zoho use the domain for the custom emails. I do get an email to my Zoho inbox for the admin email I’m trying to use however it isn’t by Discourse itself it’s from Zoho saying that a third party is using it.

Also when I run the discourse doctor it is saying that it’s failing to send the mail.

My containers/app.yml looks like this:

DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS: 'forum.staff@pictostudio.co.uk'

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: smtp.zoho.eu
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 587
DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: forum.staff@pictostudio.co.uk
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: "passwordhehe"
DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN: pictostudio.co.uk
DISCOURSE_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL: noreply@pictostudio.co.uk

Edit: I checked the Discourse logs and this is the output I got-

start
  Render layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.4ms | Allocation: 34)
Delivered mail biglongnumberboi@forums.pictostudio.co.uk (734.0ms)
Job exception: end of file reached

fail

I also uncommented this line in the app.yml

- exec: rails r "SiteSetting.notification_email='noreply@example.com'"

I’m not getting the email and it connects but doesn’t send. I’m a little confused. :confused:
Thanks in advance,
~Blood

1 Like

Is the user forum.staff@pictostudio.co.uk a permitted sender for email address noreply@pictostudio.co.uk

That’s the most probable cause of emails not working. I don’t use zoho but they should have logs indicating email failed because sender is not authorized (or something similar)

I’d suggest using something like mailgun instead of zoho for the sake of simplicity.

2 Likes

I’ll have a look now thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mailgun seems more complicated than Zoho mail, I’ve also had my emails setup via Zoho mail for a while now hence me using that. I can’t seem to find what you’re talking about however.
~Blood

1 Like

If you follow the official installation guides, there are configuration details available for supported ESPs.

discourse/INSTALL-email.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

You could try to contact zoho for further help on this.

2 Likes

Alright thanks for the help. I’ve contacted Zoho for help with this and seeing what they say. If not then thanks for the information for the other mailing services I can use. :slight_smile:
~Blood

1 Like

Actually have another question about this, wouldn’t it be easier to make the Notification email be the same as the forum.staff email?
If so then would there be an easier way to sort the emails through that or is it recommended to set it up the way I have currently for the ease of organization?

Thanks for the help again. :slight_smile:
~Blood

1 Like

It is totally your preference. You may want to keep those emails separate to prevent being classified as spam but end of day it is your choice.

1 Like

Ah okay thanks for the clarification, is this something I can change after setting up the software or does it have to be done during setup?

1 Like

You will be able to edit it later as well. I guess you’ll have to rebuild the container after you’ve made the changes.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense, I’ll probably end up doing that so then I’ve got something to work on in the meantime for the support ticket to be answered. :’)

Thanks,
~Blood

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.