Add 'open in a new tab' option (checkbox)

I’d like to add an option(=checkbox) for ‘open in a new tab’ below popup panel when users insert a hyperlink.

Is there a theme for this feature? Otherwise, do I have to create it programatically?

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 02.52.21

External links are already opened in a new tab by default. Internal links (e.g. to other posts/topics) are opened in the current tab by default, but users can always open them in another tab using built-in browser functionality if they want. What exactly would this new option add that can’t already be done?

1 Like

Is there a way to add this option on the popup panel?

Just below the input text box (optional title)

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 10.04.12

It’s not as simple as adding a checkbox to that popup, as the editor markdown and the rendered post would both also need to add support in order for this to work. Additionally, if you were to add a theme or plugin to support this (assuming it’s possible), you’d probably want to add some visual distinction in the posts so users know when a link will open in the same tab versus another tab.

In any case, did you read my previous response? Users can already open links in separate tabs. Why would you want to let the user creating the post control this instead of the user reading the post. What problem are you trying to solve?

1 Like