Add to homescreen banner on Android

2 Likes

Ahh since this is configurable on chrome, I dont think we should force standalone mode just to have the app in its individual tab in the app switcher?

Hmmm, do you know if we get splash screen on browser mode?

1 Like

Um, @tgxworld @falco, not to go crazy on this, but what if this were just a configurable setting by the community admin on whether they want to display the URL bar or not for their community when site added to home screen. In the end, the setting resides in html, no?

That would be the last resort.

The ideal would be user defined but it makes sense to prompt on installation, and we can’t intercept on that moment.

FWIW I find the “splash screen” confusing - it just sits there and you have to know to tap it with your finger to open the discourse site. I’d rather just go straight to the site. Perhaps other users will have the same confused experience.

You don’t have to tap.

Discourse opens after the splash screen when the assets are loaded automatically.

2 Likes

whoa - you’re right! :slight_smile: didn’t notice that. is that why there is a splash screen?

what if it takes long to load - should there be a progress indicator? I just tried with my site and it took a good 10-15 seconds to load discussions.

Yeah a progress bar would be nice, but the page is created by chrome, the application has no control over it, other than icon, name, background color and top bar color.

However, since the header rewrite its way faster. And the fact that it keeps the app on memory for much more (maybe placebo, gotta confirm) makes a full load very rare.

2 Likes

Perhaps another idea would be to display a message there while the user waits, which would be admin-settable. Or we could display a fortune cookie! Plugin territory… :wink:

Like I said

:innocent:

1 Like

I strongly recommend people take a look at a few other non-Discourse sites using this “add to homescreen” feature to compare how they work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As in… what’s your point? Can you just elaborate rather than giving us arbitrary work to do? Thanks.

1 Like

Just adding a feature point:

After switching my Moto X 2014 to a Nexus 6p, the Discourse Meta home screen shortcut was automatically migrated!

Even using different launchers, Nova to Google, made no difference, the shortcut survives. :smile:

5 Likes

You can easily add a launcher banner even if your site is HTTP on Chrome (same steps on post #13), but you can use others browser too.

With Opera -latest version*- (not tested on Opera-Mini):

1. go to the site you want to add to your homescreen
  2. click on :heavy_plus_sign: near the address bar and choose “Add to Homescreen”

It’s a bit more complicated with Firefox -latest version*- :

1. go to the site you want to add
  2. open the context menu and click :star: to add your site to Bookmarks
  3. click on Bookmarks
  4. long press on your site and click “Add to Homescreen”

The same steps if you use Dolphin Browser (but the icon added is a Dolphin standard icon).

(pretty sure there is a simple way to do that without using Bookmarks)

EDIT: on Firefox, a long click on address bar and you can choose “add to homescreen”

*both installed today, so I haven’t tested old versions

1 Like

the banner isn’t shown itself for our forum, though it has the https condition.

is there a way to check what the problem is? or is there any condition for the browser-version?

Can you share a link? I’ll debug it for you.

1 Like

https://discourse.padpors.com is the link to our forum.

Ok, that some heavy customization. You really need to tone it down. You have two body tags, and the first one is inside the head.

7 Likes

Many thanks Rafael, I’ve tried to make it lighter, also remove that body tag inside the header. and it worked :smiley: