Address already in use during setup

Hello there,

so I got this error

Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint app (2cf9494e875c2910beaf80edc21a16c997aba51b23504f26bd58e381b167f45f): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use
Error: failed to start containers: app

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Are you trying to install Discourse in a server which is already used for other apps?

Discourse binds to default web ports, so I recommend using a brand new server for Discourse.

3 Likes

What do you mean with brand new server?

You could search for that error which is that the port is already being used.

So you’re not following the official install method discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

And you probably need this topic:

I did follow the official instal method

Is there anyway to change the ports? If so, how and to what should I change it?

It sais the page is invalid or private

I grabbed this link from google: running other websites on the same machine as discourse:

I also get this arror

nginx: [emerg] BIO_new_file("/var/discourse/shared/standalone/ssl/ssl.crt") fail ed (SSL: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen(’/v ar/discourse/shared/standalone/ssl/ssl.crt’,‘r’) error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO _new_file:no such file)
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

I noticed the whole ssl folder is empty, how can I fix that?

Also something else came with it

nginx: [warn] the “ssl” directive is deprecated, use the “listen … ssl” directive instead in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/discourse.conf:12

If your server has the ports blocked it will not be able to create certificates too.

Is this a Digital Ocean droplet? I recommend creating a new one running Ubuntu 18.04.

I don’t have Digital Ocean installed

Where is this server?

The recommendation is to wipe the os with a clean installation and make sure that you have no web servers (apache or nginx) installed.

If you had followed that method, you wouldn’t have gotten that error. Where is your server (or VPS), and which OS (and version) do you have installed? What else have you installed on that server?

3 Likes