After upgrade, docker cannot communicate with the outside world

Reinstall and recover from a backup was the only solution.

No idea what changed in the middle of the night but it’s done now.

Thanks for the support

2 Likes

This issue is not new. It sounds like you solved it with a backup, re-installation, and restore.

For what it’s worth, I worked around the problem as described here: Could not resolve host: github.com for SamSaffron/pups.git

Just as a note, I have this same problem but @rcauvin 's suggestion did not work for me.

See: ./discourse-setup: could not resolve host: github.com for my topic on the same issue

I am experiencing the same issue but then with a clean digital ocean droplet, following this tutorial
. Docker is installed by the discourse installer. I have no idea how to solve this. The above solution also did not work for me.firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-masquerade --permanent

edit: after I applied the solution from @rcauvin followed by firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-masquerade --permanent from this post it works

1 Like

One thing that I’ve noticed recently in Ubuntu 20 on DigitalOcean is that the host machine doesn’t make its domain name servers available to Docker. This is not an issue with the firewall because Ubuntu 20 doesn’t come with the firewall enabled.

To fix, first find the DO name servers with cat /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf. You’ll see something like this…

nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 9.8.7.6

Next, edit the daemon.json file with nano /etc/docker/daemon.json to make those nameservers, and optionally, the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) are available to Docker.

{
    "dns": ["<ip1 from above>", "<ip2 from above>", "8.8.8.8"]
}

Then restart Docker and rebuild.

systemctl restart docker
/var/discourse/launcher rebuild app
2 Likes

That file does not exist on my installation. Did you create it from scratch, or did you already have that file in your installation?

The only file I have in that location is key.json.

I created the file from scratch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.