Allow for emojis directly after a Chinese letter

If we post two pictograms consecutively, one pictogram is not displayed as shown in the picture below.

Is there a solution?

like this?
:bowing_man: :two_hearts:
* note the space between the colons
text :bowing_man: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes!
I understood that two emoticons will be displayed if space is entered.

However, in my web site, when I put two emoji characters, the space does not come in automatically.

This is an error caused by a difference in notation between languages.

While English puts a space between words, on the other hand, Japanese and Chinese do not put space between words.

You’re saying your keyboard doesn’t have a space bar?

2 Likes

No it is not

As a premise, Japanese and Chinese do not put spaces between words.
So pictograms are inserted consecutively after the word without inserting a space.

Then, in discourse pictograms are not displayed correctly, text is displayed instead.

So instead of the ASCII space character, you have only the “full width space” character and Discourse is not interpreting that as a “space”.

Or users are conflating words and emojis and entering them as though they were the same.

I imagine recognition of the full-width space could be coded in. But educating members to treat words and emojis as different things might not be so easy.

Maybe if the auto-complete emoji picker automatically added a space before the first and after the last colons?

1 Like

I understand this problem and we may look at adding some sort of setting for Chinese. The problem is it is fairly expensive to figure out if a letter is in Chinese as it is a massive regular expression and we do not want to carry all this code.

What I would be open here for is a “mode” where we do not do a “is letter” check prior to emojis which we can enable in Chinese sites so you can butt up emojis against letters. But this change would be global so test:small_airplane: would render as test🛩️ which I guess is fine for you.

2 Likes

In my opinion, if discorse automatically puts a space before an emoticon, problems will be solved in all Chinese, Korean and Japanese.

Initially, this problem arises because Japanese and Chinese people insert pictograms without putting a space at the end of the sentence or in the middle of the sentence.
This is because it is based on the language notation that it creates sentences without spaces, so there is no choice.

There is no need to let the program decide whether it is Chinese or not. Would not it be okay for the program to judge only whether or not there is space before emoji?

:smiley::space_invader::japanese_goblin:
こんにちは:smiley::space_invader::japanese_goblin: